Qualifications of a Board Member:
- A Board member must be a citizen of the United States
- A Board member must be a resident of the district for at least one year immediately preceding the member's election or appointment.
- A Board member may not be convicted of a felony.
- A Board member must be able to read and write.
- A Board member must be registered to vote in the district and not disqualified from voting pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1.
- A Board member cannot concurrently hold office as a mayor of a member of the governing body of Frenchtown Borough.
- A Board member has not been disqualified due to the conviction of a crime or offense listed in N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1. In order to fulfill this requirement:
- Each member of the board of education, within 30 days of the election or appointment to the board shall undergo a criminal history background check investigation for the purpose of ensuring that the member is not disqualified for membership due to a conviction of a crime offense pursuant to the statute listed above.
Petitions for School Board candidates can be obtained at the County Clerk's Office located at 71 Main Street, Flemington, NJ 08822 or by clicking here.
Petitions must be filed no later than 4:00 pm on Monday, July 25, 2016. A full term for a board member consists of three years. In the event of a vacancy of a board seat, the board will appoint a qualified representative from the community to fill the vacancy until the next school election.